Sunday, September 28, 2008

What Really Matters

Sunday School was good this morning even though my attitude was not. I wasn't even sure if I was going to go to church this morning. I was going to let Chris and Kenzee go because I so desperately need a break, but when I got up this morning I felt rested and I got ready.

The first lesson I learned was, how trivial it is for me to be in such a tizzy over my haircut. It is hair. It will grow back. I've learned to fix it already. One thing my mom said when she was attempting to help my new do was, "It could be worse, you could have had it all cut off." At the time I thought, gee thanks mom that makes me feel way better, let me tell ya, but now I am realizing she is very right. Things ain't so bad over here in the hair department for me.

This morning we discussed using our gifts and talents for the Lord and to further his Kingdom. Later, I will try and go back and site the verses here, but right now I just want to get my thoughts out. Before our Sunday School teacher started talking I was actually feeling discouraged because I thought well, what I am I doing for the Lord. Most of the time I am in my home all day with my 2 year old. Of course, there will always be more that I could be doing and anything that I do cannot amount to what the Lord has done for me, but He desires servanthood from me and it should be my ultimate goal to please Him. Then, Patti said, that for some of us, right now, our work for the Lord is in our homes, raising our children to know God and to serve Him as well. The way that we raise our children will have a lasting impact on our world. I want to do the best job that I can raising my children in the way God would have me do so. I want to be an example of love and humility. I want my marriage to reflect Christ. I want my children to know that above all else we serve a loving Heavenly Father and we aim to please Him in all that we do.

I have a long way to go and so much to learn. I want to have a loving heart for all people and right now I can honestly and embarrassingly say that I do not. I am judgmental and often too wrapped up in myself and my child to notice those around me enough to give them a smile. I want to change that about myself. I am going to start by smiling at smokers. You may be laughing now, but if you know me well you know that I have a big problem with smokers and am rude to them. I'm not saying that I will tolerate smoking around my child, but I am not going to give every smoker that I see a dirty look just because. My husband will tell you that this will be a challenge for me, but I am posting here that I am going to start showing love to smokers. I am also going to try and notice and take advantages of the opportunities God gives me to be a witness for Him or be uplifting to a friend in need.

I am thankful that God gave me an extra push to go to church today because He knew I needed to be there and wanted to teach me.

2 comments:

Connie said...

O.k., I am laughing a little, but I'm sure you will make some smokers day this week.

Glad you went to church and were changed! I love it when that happens, when you know you were supposed to be there.

Just be careful...that smile might lead to a conversation and then you will have to say "Oh, sorry to mislead you, I was just smiling to be nice. I really don't like you and quit talking to my child."

Kim said...

First of all, I love that you have a sonogram pic of Riley on your blog!

Second, I am so there with you on the SS lesson. I really needed to hear that! It is easy for me to feel a bit worthless as far as what am i doing to further The Kingdom, especially since I am not out there working and interacting with people on a daily basis anymore. To know that my time and energy spent taking care of my kids, my marriage, my home and that the world sees me doing that, hopefully in a Christ-like manner ... well that is what i needed to hear.

And also, what Patti said about praying for my kids to also have non-Christian friends to impact for The Kingdom ... that just totally changed my prayers for them. That my Riley could be doing God's work by inviting his friends over and to church ... well that is just too cool!

God is good.