Sunday, September 7, 2008

Seeking Opinions-Cord Blood Banking

Chris and I are torn on the issue of whether or not to bank this new baby's cord blood privately. We banked Mckenzee's cord blood with Cord Blood Registry. We discussed it with our ob before Kenzee was born and she recommended we do it if we were able to financially. Our pediatrician feels that it is not necessary. I read articles that go both ways. I am just not sure that it is truly worth the money because it is not likely that we will ever need it, BUT I also feel like in the instance that we did I would pay anything to have it back. With Mckenzee, I looked at it as a form of life insurance. I am just not sure what to do. I don't want to get caught up in the cost. If it is the best choice for our family then I want to do it and if it is not then I don't. I was just wondering what some of you may have done and how you feel on the issue? I don't feel strongly either way at this time, but maybe you do, and I want to hear about it.

5 comments:

Connie said...

I don't know anything about cord blood banking but I know you......DO IT. If you did it for Kenzee you (for your own peace of mind) need to do it for this baby.

DesignKat said...

I agree with Connie. Peace of mind is priceless.

Lexi said...

I agree as well...if you did it for Kenzee then you need to do it for this baby as well. Otherwise you will beat yourself up forever if this baby were ever in need of it and you didn't bank it.

Atlee's Mom said...

I agree as well.

Candace said...

The way I understand it though is if you have it for one child wouldnt it work on the other. I have heard of people that have a sick child that have another baby just to have the cord blood to heal the sick child. If that is true then I think that Kenzees would be plenty.