Wednesday, February 18, 2009

I faced my fear today

That's right, potatoes, but not just any potatoes, only potatoes with eyes. It was difficult. The phobia goes way back. My family thinks it's funny. It's not....it's real. Once, when I was probably 15 or 16, I was in my room one afternoon and I laid down on my bed. I felt something weird under my pillow and when I looked to see what it was I found a potato looking very much like this one...

My mom had hid it there while I was at school so she could crack herself up. She probably had been laughing about it all day just waiting for me. She loves to laugh.

Not cool.

I still haven't forgiven her, obviously.

So, today I wanted to make a special dinner for Chris. I haven't been cooking much lately. I am making a turkey tenderloin, but doing it up like a roast, at the suggestion of my mother....the sneaky one. I had everything I needed, but my potatoes had eyes. I wasn't sure if I could do it. Normally, if I need to cook with potatoes and they have eyes I just leave that part of dinner until Chris gets home and he deals with it or I choose something else, but today I really wanted to have everything ready when he got there, so I forged ahead. I considered gloves, but ended up going at it bare-handed. I managed to get all the eyes off and only grazed two of them with my finger.

Go me! I'll let you know how my dinner turns out.

3 comments:

Amy said...

That is pretty creepy-looking.

Connie said...

haha. what started the phobia i wonder? next time, put the potato in a plastic bag and do it that way....OR just don't grow potatoes in your pantry.

Sara said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! I still tell that story about the potato in your bed!!! ....and alo me and Momma still laugh about it.
Way to go though!